"Irrational thoughts should be followed absolutely and logically." - Sol Lewitt
Preferably riding a sea monster.

9.15.2009

PhysComp Sensor Walk

I have to admit, this was a little difficult because I'm not used to looking at the world this way. I go about my life pushing buttons, stepping on things, and walking around without paying any attention to the doors, lights, and general machinery that are reacting and interacting with my body (and my body to it). I can sense my perception of my surroundings already beginning to change just within my first week at ITP. (Sidenote, I wasn't able to take many pictures because I didn't have a camera with me.)

On my commute to Tisch this morning I began to think about the different sensors that I come in contact with. There are the buzzer buttons on the door to my building, and outside there is a motion sensor light that comes on when someone approaches the door at night.

Getting on the subway, I noticed the MTA kiosks and their touchscreens, the swipey-card turnstiles (are those sensors?), the emergency stop button in the subway cars. Walking in the world, I thought of the CVS automatic open doors that slide out of your way when you step on the mat. I thought of traffic lights and how late at night some of them don't turn green unless they sense a car waiting. I noticed the buttons on the elevator, the buttons on the key code to the ER room, and the motion sensor lights in classrooms.

Now I'm super aware of doors that I have to push open and things that don't change when I interact with them. I'm sure there are sensors everywhere, and I just don't know where to look or how to classify objects. I'm looking forward to changing my worldview to include an awareness of technology, and dealing with sensory overload.

No comments: